What does loving God look like for you?
What are your favourite ways to express adoration for Jesus in the everyday?
Here are some of the things I like to do when I’m struggling to find a connection:
- Plan it out. Rather than waiting till I feel like praying, I schedule in time with God as I would a close friend. I block out a specific night when I can be particularly open to listening to the Holy Spirit and I ask him what he desires for that night. I make sure that a Bible reading or worship music is a part of that time, and I listen and respond to his voice.
- Talk to a friend. I choose to be real about my struggles and seek wisdom from others. Vulnerability often opens doors to connection and growth.
- Choose a great devotional. I love the range from On Becoming Esther, as each one combines inspirational imagery and walks you through a book of the Bible with a combo of commentary and reflective questions.
- Listen to the Bible and meditate on it. I love using the audio function within the YouVersion app and listen to a chapter for my morning quiet time on the way to work.
- Connect with nature. Immersing ourselves in the natural world is often a powerful reminder of God’s majesty and incredible creativity. Practice mindfulness as you engage with creation, even if it’s just in your backyard.
- Finally, simply ask God for help. Admit your struggles and receive his guidance as to how you can love him more deeply. He will meet you there!
“Love God , your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that’s in you, love him with all you’ve got!”
Deuteronomy 6:5 MSG